7 Cooperative Principles
- Voluntary and Open Membership – Anyone can shop and anyone can own a share of the co-op!
- Democratic Member Control – As member-owners, we are all equal co-owners of the co-op. Each member-owner has one vote.
- Member Economic Participation – By owning a membership share and shopping at the store, we contribute to the capital of the co-op. Member-owners also take part in the governance of the co-op: they democratically participate in the co-op by attending meetings, voting in elections, holding office, and joining committees. Only member-owners can run for elected board positions.
- Autonomy & Independence
- Education, Training, & Information – We are committed to the education, training, and provision of information to our patrons, owners, and staff to build a strong and thriving co-op and community.
- Cooperation among Co-ops – We work with other local and national co-op organizations and we can rely on the expertise of one another to remain sound.
- Concern for Community – Together, we’ll run this locally-owned business in accordance with our mission, as a service to one another, and for the greater good of our community.